Friday, July 23, 2010

EMG, NCV, oh my!

The trauma from the fracture has improved, the swelling is finally better and after giving the traumatized radial nerve 6 weeks to settle down they are going to do the first EMG/NCV to figure out just how damaged the nerve is.


Let me warn you - this is NOT fun at all, but very necessary.  Unfortunately the news isn't good.  My radial nerve has sustained a severe injury.  I'm very lucky it doesn't appear to be completely dis-attached. There seems to be a very small strand of nerve remaining which is very good news!  The Dr. has no reason to feel that it won't recover at this point but once again it will "take a long time."  The damage appears to be above the elbow because my left triceps is also impacted.  Bummer.  They now tell me it will be a solid year before I get my hand back.

They will repeat the EMG around Halloween (which will be 5 months) and hope to see some progress.  Until then:  keep using the hand with the dynamic splint, work on straightening the wrist daily and remain patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment