Thursday, July 22, 2010

6 weeks ... Let's check the progress!

I see the surgeon today for my six week post-op visit.  Let's check the progress ....

Elbow extension: 25 degrees - improvement of 15 degrees!
Elbow flexion: 104 degrees - improvement of 4 degrees!

Progress, albeit very slow, is good!  We will really ramp up the PT this week and I hope for some really great results now that we can really begin to push.  The pain in the area of my fracture is really great.  In fact, it's really not pain, but achy.  I find first thing in the morning is really the worst because the elbow has been resting on the pillow and it doesn't seem to appreciate the pressure.

The wrist and hand unfortunately show no improvement at all.  The surgeon really doesn't like that so I am scheduled for a nerve conductivity test (EMG) in a couple of days.  This will let him know not only the extent on the injury to the radial nerve, but also an idea on the location of the lesion on the nerve.  The PT is hopeful that the lesion is lower in the arm because of the feeling that I have in my forearm.  I hope so because at 1" a month, that is closer to the wrist and would mean a faster recovery.  I still have a lot of numbness in the thumb but I do believe it is getting better.

He ordered a "night extension splint" that involves stretching the arm as straight as possible, strapping it in and sleeping all night AND an elbow device for daytime use that involves bending it as far as it will go and locking it in place for 30 minutes at a time.   They both sound like torture devices but the Dr. said, "you won't like it, but you'll be fine because you're not a complainer."  Hahaha - - I guess I better not ruin my reputation by starting to whine now.  Darn!

my fingers are all puffy and swollen because of the
lack of use and blood flow.
wrist drop - without a brace this is my left hand
I am able to bend my fingers and make a fist but it
is very stiff - I'm sure the swelling doesn't help
this is what straightening my fingers looks like.  I am trying to
lift my fingers and wrist but it's impossible ...

No comments:

Post a Comment