Monday, December 13, 2010

Fractured humerus .. the gift that keeps on giving!

What a lovely shade of blue, don't you think?  Just when I thought that my hand was healing and I was getting back to "normal" I started having some pain and then my hand started to turn blue.  I must admit that I was quite discouraged because it feels like a set back and I was enjoying moving forward.  The poor color hasn't been a problem for weeks so it was not what I wanted to see.

I called the surgeon and he put my mind at ease.  I emailed the photo for him to look at because when I told him during my last office visit the color was great.  I guess I wanted him to see what I was referring to.  He isn't concerned.  He still believes it is a problem with the vessels, a possible side effect of certain type of nerve injuries.  There is nothing to be done about it and nothing to worry about.  I certainly wasn't expecting anything to be done about it, but I just thought it may be the sign of something that wasn't good since it has been so good for at least a month.  "Nothing to worry about."  Whew!  I'll take that.

This time I did notice something that I don't remember from before.  When the pain eased up, the color returned to normal.  In the past when my hand started turning blue it was when I was running and I don't remember any specific pain, but then again - it was all hurting!  The pain was a burning sensation under my incision area, above the elbow and the entire arm just felt really strange.  Interesting ... Weird.

Every day is a learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment