Friday, December 10, 2010

7 months and counting ....

It's been about a month since I last documented my progress.  Things have been going well.  So well, in fact, that I actually feel like I've made my way out the other side.  As I type this post tonight it is with two hands typing.  I wasn't sure that would ever happen just a couple of months ago.  My hand remains swollen and stiff but it works ... it really works!

I continue to have trouble with my thumb and elbow.  The thumb is patiently waiting for the radial nerve to heal itself and the elbow is just very stiff and sore.  It's not painful, it's just achy ... all the time.  I suspect that it is the severe osteoarthritis rearing it's ugly face and I just try to keep it moving as much as possible in hopes that I keep the blood flowing.  My hope is that the arthritis will settle down but if not, it's okay.  I can use my arm!

The rotation that I have been diligently working to restore has not improved at all.  I won't stop working, but I suspect that I will not regain that range of motion.  The flexion and extension at the elbow are about the same, too.  I secretly hoped that by spending time 7 days a week for 7 months doing PT with my elbow, I could beat the odds given to me from the surgeon.  I was told that I should expect to lose 10-15 degrees range of motion both directions due to the plate placement and that is where I seem to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment