Monday, June 14, 2010

Because pink makes everything better!

I learned something new today and I'm not sure that I like it.  I learned that when a person has a severe fracture they can develop 'fracture blisters'.  Gross!  They signify underlying soft tissue injuries following a severe fracture and when they took off my surgical splint in my first post-op appointment, my elbow was covered in them.

Along with that lovely visual, I got to see my incision for the first time.  It is MUCH bigger than I expected.  I also saw my post-op x-ray for the first time and I don't think my surgeon appreciated my sense of humor when the first thing out of my mouth was, "is all of that hardware really necessary?"  It was a joke!  I was just trying to maintain my sense of humor.  I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't long screws - and so many of them.

Today I had my cast put on.  I will only have it for 7 days, just enough to let things settle down for pain management.  I find it fascinating that I only need a cast for a week.  I chose hot pink because it made me laugh ... and because pink just makes everything better!
first look at the incision - wow!
I don't look very thrilled :(

No comments:

Post a Comment