Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I have to wear what??

Yesterday the cast came off and today I had an appointment with the physical therapist to have a splint made for my wrist and to discuss the plan for physical therapy.  I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't THIS!

dynamic radial nerve splint

It's called a dynamic splint, but really it's quite a contraption.  It actually feels really good to have my wrist in the proper position.  Since I am able to bend my fingers, with this device I have some use of my hand because the rubber bands spring the fingers back, something I am unable to do on my own.  I am unable to lift any weight and have very little range of motion in my elbow so it is completely awkward, but a good feeling to see my hand functioning.

I had the range of motion measured in the elbow:  extension 40 degrees, flexion 100 degrees.  There's a lot of work to be done but the orders for now are very strict.  No pool, no ocean, no submersion into water for two more weeks while the incision heals.  I can finally shower without a bag, I'm to move only what I can do on my own, working on it every day and with the exception of that therapy 5 or 6 times a day the elbow stays in a sling and I wear the dynamic splint every waking hour.  They made me a second splint to wear in the shower or to the beach - - where we are headed now.  Thank God I'm not in a cast!

For shower, pool, beach and sleep.
I heard again that it will "take a long time" to get the use of my wrist and hand back but no one is giving me any hints as to just how long that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment