Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Crash!

20 miles is how far I was riding this morning.  I took off at 6:15 am and headed out with my Pearl Izumi shoes that I needed to break in and my recently installed clipless pedals.  It was a perfect morning for a ride and then I would be off with a friend to pick blueberries – a summer tradition.  I was almost home, marveling in how much I loved cycling when I approached a 3 way stop and I can’t remember how or why, but I got stuck in my pedals, couldn’t release my foot, and …. C R A S H! It was loud, it was ugly and I was hurt!  I didn’t crash into a car, I crashed into a curb.  I was still struggling to release my shoes from the clips while on the ground so I just gave up and took my feet out of my shoes, reached into my back pocket, grabbed my iPhone and called my husband to come pick me up.

We headed straight for the ER and it didn’t take long for me to realize that I had really done a number on myself.  I had severely fractured my left arm, just above the elbow.  I wasn’t going to pick blueberries.  In fact, I wasn’t going anywhere for 2-3 days and surgery would be at 2:00 pm this afternoon.  It is called a ‘distal humerus fracture’ and it is not good.
Emergency Room

Left distal humerus fracture



No comments:

Post a Comment