Saturday, September 4, 2010

The power of positive thinking .. and a little help from your friends!

I've been told that I can obsess.  I choose to believe that I simply crave information.  This is my body and I want to understand exactly what is going on.  The way I look at it, I can spend a lot more time on my "case" than my physician can.  Heck, I only have on patient: ME!  At the same time, I have learned from other experiences in the medical world that it is not an exact science and I appreciate that.  I am fortunate to have the time and desire to learn.

I think it is important to listen to my doctor and physical therapist and do exactly what they tell me, but I am choosing to take that extra step and educate myself.  The funny thing about Radial Nerve Palsy is that I can find a lot of medical articles discussing the "science" behind it, but what has been far more helpful is sharing with other patients who have had similar injuries.  In fact, it's been amazing!  Everything is so much better with help from your friends and I have met two amazing people ... enter Paul and Laura!  Paul (from the UK) is ahead of me in his recovery and Laura (from VT) fractured her arm about 8 weeks ago.  I have gotten great tips from both of them and have been able to share what works - and doesn't for me - and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  THANK YOU both :)

2 comments:

  1. ...and THANK YOU, I may be coming up 2yrs since my injury but your the first person that actually has half a clue what I'm talking about sometimes. As we say, unless you've experienced this kind of injury you really don't know what it's like.

    Take care and keep those fingers moving :)
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm going to have to meet you in person one day!

    ReplyDelete